New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

freedomdk

Denmark
10 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  21:44:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear all.

Probably the best hardware ever made for LightJockey is the PCI 4064 card, with 2048 channels (4 universes) or 1536/512 (3 universes plus DMX input).

However, nowadays fast PCs and Win XPs Plug'n'play system causes a lot of trouble.

I've worked hard on this, and have finally found a solution, even though it is a bit odd.

If you install the card on a modern PC (mine is a AMD QuadCore Phenom II X4 955 @ 3,2 GHz), and if you install the driver given in the /Martin Lightjockey/Hardware Drivers/PCI_ISA/ folder, when XP finds new hardware and asks for a driver for it, you'll end up with a Blue Screen Of Death the next time you boot your PC. You can then try the W2K SP3/SP4 alternative driver, given in a subfolder, but this has, at least in my case on two different motherboards, resulted in unstable behavior. The BSOD is resolved but I cannot get it to run without a lot of hassles, rebooting etc.

After checking the web, I've found nothing that could help me out, apart from a french forum, where, with my very very limited french-capabilities, I have "decoded" the following procedure:

1: Install PCI card
2: Boot
3: When XP finds new hardware, and asks for a driver, select cancel.
4: Go to the hardware drivers folder /Martin Lightjockey/Hardware Drivers/PCI_ISA/
5: Start the Installer.exe file (green icon filesize approx 421 KB)
6: After installing the card, click locate card and check that the card is located properly ie. it says ver. 1.4 and indicates which PCI slot it is using.
7: Click quit and you should be ready to go.

If you open hardware properties in Win XP, you'll find a PCI device with a exclamation-mark (!) - do not mind. Do NOT install a driver on this device!

This way around, it is possible to get the PCI card up and running just fine on a modern XP-PC.

If you are having any experiences with this issue, please share your issued, knowledge etc. in this forum. Thanks

Kindest regards

Hans-Henning Terp-Hansen, Happy LJ User :D

bazam1
Elite Member

New Zealand
229 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2010 :  09:31:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Your correct up until the last bit in your explanation.

Using Windows XP Pro I install the driver using installer.exe and click the install driver button. I then detect the card in this app using locate card button.

Then I got to device manager, look for Other devices, find the device with explanation mark, right click on it. Click update driver and select the PCI:4064 driver in the same directory as the installer.

The driver installs correctly and shows as a "Martin PCI4064:DMX PCI card". The symbol for this device in device manager is a "?" after updating the driver. The explanation mark goes and windows reports the device is working properly.

No BSOD.

Dramalight Lighting Systems

http://www.dramalight.co.nz

Edited by - bazam1 on 12 Jun 2010 02:14:12
Go to Top of Page

lightwerks
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  04:22:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having the same issue. I have a 512 PCI card that will give me the blue screen of death if i try to load the driver from the add hardware wizard. If this was my unit it wouldnt be an issue but it is install in a bar where everyone sees the new device screen pop up and they to load the driver. Its a pain in the butt. My computer is saying there is an issue with the system file of wdpnp.sys. is there something wrong with this old file with newer systems? We have alot of these cards installed in older computer that need to be retired and new modern computers will have to replace them. Any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

freedomdk

Denmark
10 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2013 :  14:45:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you using Win XP Pro with Service Pack 2 or do you have any service packs and updates later than this?

Kindest regards

Hans-Henning
Go to Top of Page

jarenfeldt
Starting Member

Denmark
1 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2013 :  08:33:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey HH

I have full working PCI card driver there is working on a new pc, with windws xp sp2-3 and Windows 7 32-bit, I have not testet windows 8

quote:
Originally posted by freedomdk

Are you using Win XP Pro with Service Pack 2 or do you have any service packs and updates later than this?

Kindest regards

Hans-Henning

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Martin Bulletin Board © 2000-2014 Martin Professional Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000